Something I learned recently is that I tend to overcomplicate things.
What do I mean?
Every day, I make it a priority of mine to write something meaningful before I go to sleep. I overcomplicate it by:
- double checking my grammar before a full idea is written down
- spending more time in my head than time on the writing page
- deciding the idea is stupid before anyone else gets to read it
To keep things simpler,
- leave edits out until everything is written down (a no-backspace-rule)
- write out everything that’s on mind, even if it isn’t fully refined yet
- let the reader decide if they like the piece I’ve posted or not