Start of pandemic:
- 80% of customer base gone
- General fear of going outside and in public spaces
- Uncertainty and fluctuations in demand
What’s a family restaurant to do in this situation?
Nothing, as our entire restaurant staff collectively twiddle our thumbs while waiting for customers to order something in 2020.
Then, something incredible happens.
We get featured on a local news/entertainment blog, as they want to drive traffic to businesses within Toronto.
Immediately the following plays out:
- Spike in sales for the next 2 months
- A 200% growth in social media following
- Lots of new and old customers remembering that our restaurant exists so they come and say hi
How did this happen?
All because of one Tiktok video.
We shared one Tiktok video in 2020 that got the attention of someone on the blog’s team. That video led them to follow our accounts on both Tiktok and Instagram. Fast forward a few days, they message us on Instagram telling us they’ll be making a video about our business.
It was that simple.
And the journey has been wild since.
Social media saved our family restaurant from going under. I’m pinning it as one of the most valuable business skillsets to have in 2022.